Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Hey You're guests in my corn

My favorite movie is Field of Dreams.  It's all about the still, small voice that speaks to us.  If we are listening, we may find ourselves obeying and following its lead.  The main character in this film goes above and beyond, denying common sense, bucking the criticism and mocking from his farmer friends he turns a large portion of his main crop into a baseball diamond because "if you build it, he will come."  Upon completion, he receives another profound whispered message, that makes no sense at the time, but is an integral piece of the entire puzzle as he painstakingly moves his feet, drives his old VW van and picks up a hitchhiker to solve the mystery of the voice.  All the while he is operating under the belief that all these steps are essential to provide healing for another character in the movie.  Until the end, when it is revealed that all these building blocks were leading him on the path to healing his relationship with his deceased father. 

Today I have been sitting ocean side, on the deck watching the waves.  I also have a thicket of trees, almost making a forest also in my view.  I have seen people erupt from the path walking from the shore inland,  and I have seen people venture into woods, cautiously, not sure if they are on the right path.  Why be cautious about every path we take.  Over analyzing and pondering until we rationalize every pro and con before proceeding ahead. Zaps the joy right out of the adventure.


I'm mustering up the courage myself to pursue a dream I have, a creative process, a keen idea.  I'm wanting to "go the distance" so I am gathering motivation through prayer and reading and now blogging.  As I focus on this desire purposefully an alignment falls into place in my path.  What I read and my thoughts come together for this purpose and I am encouraged. 

I have never read "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho, but I read an interview that Oprah did with him and it spoke to me in this season I am entering.  Specifically a paragraph about calling or purpose which he refers to as  "a personal legend" : "a personal legend is the reason you are here.  It's as simple as that.  You can fill your hours and days with things that are meaningless.  But you know you have a reason to be here.  It is the only thing that gives you enthusiasm."

Even tho it's only two blog entries,  I have begun to write.  Many small voices have contributed to this journey.  I listened to you for many years, I am grateful for your encouragement.  I have been a guest in many writer's 'cornfields', now I am planting seeds of my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment